For the purpose of this document P+Y, “we”, “us”, “our” and similar wording refers, as appropriate, to the entities P&Y Accountants Pty Ltd (ABN73 138 663 626) Trading as P&Y Accountants and Business Advisors, as nominee for D L Pennell & B P Yantsch (ABN 32 059 820 910), P&Y Advisory Pty Ltd (ABN 75 161 384 998) and P&Y Services Pty Ltd ATF Pennell & Yantsch Services Trust (ABN 26 366 990 190), any other practice entities, Partners, Directors and employees.
P+Y is committed to ensuring that, to the best of our ability, we protect the privacy of our clients and users of our website. The information we collect is used exclusively to facilitate the services we provide to you. We value your privacy and will take all necessary steps to protect it.
When and how do we collect personal information?
Personal information is any information that can be used to identify you. P+Y may collect information from you, including personal information:
- when you contact our firm with a query
- when you become a client of our firm
- through our website and client portal
- when you apply for employment with P+Y.
What personal information do we collect?
Personal information P+Y collects from you is collected because we consider it necessary for delivering our services. Such information may include:
- name, email address, phone number, date of birth and address
- your Tax File Number
- details of annual income, expenditure, and employment or business activities
- details of your assets and liabilities
- details of any securities or investments you may have
- details of your bank accounts
- details of specific transactions
- details of your investment objectives and risk profile
- details of health information relating to insurance requirements
- gender, education background, occupation, membership of professional associations and social interests.
The information held by P+Y may come from various sources, including:
- existing and new contacts and clients
- potential employees
- information collected through client contact.
Any personal information you provide to us may be entered into a database, recorded in spreadsheets and kept in hard copy format.
P+Y may use your information for a number of purposes, including:
- preparing your tax return
- maintaining various accounts for you
- completing your BAS return
- monitoring your account with the Australian Tax Office (ATO)
- processing transactions on your behalf
- enabling us to assess any request from you for financial advice
- updating your personal files
- providing you with information on new services or opportunities
- any purpose for which the information is requested and any directly related purpose.
Disclosing your personal information
P+Y may disclose your personal information to the following organisations:
- related companies and divisions of P+Y for the purposes of delivering our services to you
- the ATO, ASIC, and other state and federal regulatory authorities
- law firms, insurers, banks, share registries and other product providers which P+Y has engaged to assist in the delivery of services
- our bank, when depositing funds to your account
- external organisations contracted by P+Y provide administrative functions on our behalf – for example, IT contractors carrying out maintenance on our data systems.
We will not adopt a government agency identifier (such as a Tax File Number, Australian Business Number or Australian Company Number) as the identifier for an individual or client..
Information collected through our website and client portal
We do not collect personally identifiable information from you on our website, unless you provide it to us voluntarily and knowingly. This means you are under no obligation by visiting our website. However, if you specifically agree to follow-up contact by us or ask to be put on our mailing list, we may contact you from time to time.
We look at the number of hits the site receives and keep track of the domains from which the site is accessed.
To determine what our users are interested in, we may also look at the top 20 search words used in connecting you to this site.
The names of persons who request information from or about P+Y by emailing us are added to our database as clients. Each client is given a username and password and can view and update the personal details used by P+Y. Clients can also select their areas of interest, enabling them to control the information they receive from P+Y. If you do not wish to receive these communications, you should notify us by email and your name will be deleted from our client list.
Personal information will only be retained for as long as necessary to answer your query or as required by law. We do not share personal information with third parties except as necessary to carry out our business or as required by law or other legal processes. We do not sell personal information. Your personal details may be transferred between P+Y offices, but only as necessary to meet your requirements. All personnel with access to personal information have been trained to maintain its confidentiality.
Information collected through employment applications
In processing applications for employment, P+Y collects resumes, references, certificates of graduation and qualification, and other personal information about candidates. All applications for employment that we receive are stored in our administration division. A member of the team where the position exists will review your application. Alternatively, we may provide your application to a recruitment agency or contractor that assists in reviewing applications that we receive.
During the application process we, or a party acting on our behalf, may contact you to request that you attend an interview. We may also ask you to provide us with contact information for individuals who will act as professional and personal referees. We may contact these individuals and ask them questions we feel are relevant to your possible employment with us.
If your application is not suitable to our requirements, we will inform you and destroy or de-identify your application. If your application is not suitable to our current requirements, but we feel that there may be a position for you with us in the future, we will send you a letter informing you that we will keep a record of your application and may contact you again if a suitable position becomes available.
Accessing personal information you have submitted to us
If your personal information changes (such as your address), or if you no longer wish us to keep your personal information on file, we will endeavour to provide a way to correct, update or remove your records. We may charge you a small fee to cover any administrative costs we incur in providing personal information to you. If you believe for any reason that we are holding inaccurate or incomplete information about you, you may ask us to correct it.
Under the Privacy Amendment (Private Sector) Act 2000 (Cth), you have the right to obtain a copy of any personal information we hold about you and advise us of any inaccuracy. The Act does set out some exceptions to this. To make a request, you will need to complete an application form verifying your identity and specifying what information you require. We will acknowledge your request within 14 days and respond promptly to it.
We hold personal information in a number of ways, including in electronic databases, email contact lists, and in paper files held in drawers and cabinets, locked where appropriate. Paper files may also be archived in boxes and stored offsite in secure facilities. Our policy is to take reasonable steps to:
- make sure that the personal information that we collect, use and disclose is accurate, up to date and complete and (in the case of use and disclosure) relevant; and
- protect the personal information that we hold from misuse, interference and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
You can also help us keep your information up to date; by letting us know about any changes to your personal information, such as your email address or phone number.
The steps we take to secure the personal information we hold include ICT security (such as encryption, firewalls, anti-virus software and login and password protection), secure office access, personnel security and training and workplace policies.
While we strive to protect the personal information and privacy of individuals and clients, we cannot guarantee the security of any information that you disclose online and you disclose that information at your own risk. If you are concerned about sending your information over the internet, you can contact us to discuss.
If we become aware that there may have been a data breach we will carry out a reasonable and expeditious assessment of; the relevant circumstances that lead to the breach, the kind or kinds of information concerned and seek recommendations about steps that the firm, individuals or clients should take in response to the breach.
You may prevent the use or disclosure of your personal information as outlined above by opting-out at any time. Please email us informing us that you no longer want us to use your information.
To make a complaint, please telephone us on 07 3217 5700. If you are unsatisfied with our response to your complaint, you can contact the Commonwealth Privacy Commissioner’s hotline on 1300 363 992.
For the purpose of this document P+Y, “we”, “us”, “our” and similar wording refers, as appropriate, to the entities P&Y Accountants Pty Ltd (ABN73 138 663 626) Trading as P&Y Accountants and Business Advisors, as nominee for D L Pennell & B P Yantsch (ABN 32 059 820 910),P&Y Advisory Pty Ltd (ABN 75 161 384 998) and P&Y Services Pty Ltd ATF Pennell & Yantsch Services Trust (ABN 26 366 990 190), any other practice entities, Partners, Directors and employees.
Every effort has been made to offer the most current, correct and clearly expressed information possible within this site. Nonetheless, inadvertent errors can occur and applicable laws, rules and regulations may change.
The information contained on this site, newsletters and blog posts are general and not intended to serve as advice. Any information supplied is not a substitute for independent professional advice. We do not warrant the accuracy, reliability, completeness or adequacy of the information or material. All information is subject to change without notice. P+Y and each party providing material displayed in this site disclaim liability to all persons or organisations in relation to any action(s) taken on the basis of currency or accuracy of the information or material, or any loss or damage suffered in connection with that information or material.
Users are encouraged to contact P+Y for advice concerning specific matters before making any decision.
You can contact us if you want to:
- change your personal information
- obtain an application form for access to your personal information
- withdraw your consent for us to keep you personal information.
To contact us, you can:
- call us on 07 3217 5700
- write to us at PO Box 59 Paddington QLD 4064
- visit our office at 117 Fernberg Road, Paddington QLD 4064